Sunday, November 3, 2013

Starting Over

Last night was a solar eclipse.  I don't know much about astrology, but when I looked up the meaning I found out that solar eclipses mark new beginnings.  http://www.astrologyzone.com/forecasts/eclipse.html  Today is a new beginning for me.  Yesterday I flew down to Sebastopol, CA my new home and left Seattle.  I will be joining Hill Park Medical Center for those who don't know.  http://hillparkmedicalcenter.com/  I have lived in Seattle since I was 18.  I went to college and med school there and never left.  Seattle has been my home base for many exciting adventures.  It has been my home where much learning and maturing has come to fruition.

It has also been made clear to me in the last year that my time there is coming to an end.  There are bigger things ahead for my life.  I am not entirely sure what these are, but they are eminent.  I started reading Michael Pollen's new book "Cooked"  http://michaelpollan.com/books/cooked/ yesterday on the plane.  There was a section where it was being discussed the differences between humans and animals, one of which was the concept of cooking food.  This got me thinking about another concept that is somewhat uniquely human other than a few exceptions... Tool making.

Many of you who know me know that I have had a long standing criticism of the role of technology in our lives.  I am constantly struggle with the long term consequences of the technology I choose to have in my life.  My iphone also falls into these bittersweet musings.  Ironically in this move I have had to buy a car (a hybrid of course), something that has always bothered me.  I also love practical gifts and making things that make my life better.   Another Irony is that I am going to be working with Share Practice http://sharepractice.com/, Andrew Brandies' brainchild linking conventional and alternative medicines in a easy to use app that is going to revolutionize medicine.  In the end, our role as humans in toolmaking is extraordinary, I am now joining humanity in assisting in making a cool tool for practitioners.

Where am I going as in individual?  Where are we going as humanity?  I am excited to begin my new beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment