Monday, July 15, 2013

Justice. A deeper reflection into Travon Martin's case.

What is Justice?  Can we bring back a young man who's life ended for no good reason?  No we cannot.  What is done is done.  I wish we could bring him back.  I wish there was no farce of a justice system, that is flawed in that it relies on human perception and judgement.  But I cannot change these things any more than I can change the color of my skin. 

All we can ask of ourselves is how does how I live my life play into this?  Have I unjustly judged someone by the color of their skin, class, sex?  Yes I have.  If I am truly honest with myself, I find that I do this all the time.  Daily.  Unconsciously.  All day long we all make generalizations, stereotypes, and judgements in an attempt to keep ourselves and our loved ones safe.  How much of it is true?  How many times have I unjustly judged a rich white person?

Does "winning" a case against George Zimmerman create justice?  Probably not.  He too is also a victim of these snap generalizations that we create in our inner world.  These generalizations lead us to take actions that create reality.

I truely hope in my life time I will see us get to the place where Martin Luther Kings dream unfolds... "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."  May we all begin judging each other by the content of our character.  May we all begin to walk in beauty and awe of the wonderful creation we all are.

Here is a link to my previous post on this topic...  http://wanderingmindcalmheart.blogspot.com/2012/03/trials-and-tribulations-of-being-young.html

No comments:

Post a Comment